Skip to main content

Deputies are usually friends or relatives of the person who needs help to make their decisions. Depending on your relationship with that person and what decisions you are requesting to make on their behalf, you might need the Court’s permission to apply to become a deputy.

A deputy can also be a solicitor. A solicitor is usually appointed if there is no suitable family member or friend who could make the right decisions in the best interests of the person needing help or who is willing or has the capacity to take on this responsibility, or if the amounts involved are very large.

Solicitors are also appointed if there are very complicated decisions to be made. If you find yourself in this position and wish to appoint a solicitor as the deputy, it is advisable to instruct a solicitor who is an experienced professional deputy and preferably a solicitor that is on the Court of Protection Panel – as these solicitors have been selected for the Panel on the basis of their expertise, integrity and experience in COP deputyship matters. Gillhams’ partners – Russell Caller and Hina Tailor are both Panel appointed Court of Protection deputies.

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.